Thursday, April 27, 2023

Odd time and polymeter influences

Here's a list of songs that use odd time signatures or polymeter and have influenced my composing. I created it for a class I taught recently at Trouble in Brussels. It specifies the time signatures used in each song, along with a YouTube link. People often tell me they want to try my Polymeter MIDI sequencer, but they don't know where to start. One thing that can help is to STOP listening to music in 4/4 (at least for a while) and instead listen only to music that's in odd time or polymeter. My list will get you started. “Half of wisdom is learning what to unlearn.” -Larry Niven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heptatonic scales with a minor third

Which heptatonic scales consist entirely of semitones, whole tones, and a single minor third, without having two semitones in a row? The he...